Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Connect

Some relations need constant attention to be nurtured. They need time, effort and mind share. And the moment you hesitate they loose out on sheen.
And then there are some bonds which never die. How much you ignore them. They are deep enough to last forever.

I have suffered from the “out of sight out of mind” syndrome for quite sometime and have lost quite a few good friends because of that.

So it wouldn’t be an understatement when I say that I was shocked when I received a phone call from my cousin Prarthna last year after a gap of a decade. Yes a decade of absolutely no conversation, no meetings, no letters, no mails, just nothing.
We had spent quite a few memorable vacations together when we were just kids and during our early teen years. Then both of us got busy with life, a greeting card in the first year and then even that stopped.
Prarthna had gone to the effort to take my cell number from her mum who had asked my dad for the same. I don’t know what made her do that all of a sudden, but what ever it was god bless her for making that call. I guess the motivation being the fact that I got married a few months back and she wanted to congratulate me.

I still remember how I had shrieked when she said her name. We spoke like we had met yesterday. Those 10 years seem to just melt away. We spoke for a long time and hung up only when my cell phone started complaining, obviously with the promise of being in touch.

And yes this time we have kept our promise. We spoke again and then again. It’s been over a year since that last call and both of us are grateful.

We are exactly the same age (a month here and there), our natures are alike, we get happy and sad at similar stuff and both of us have the same values. And to add to that sameness, her fiancé is so much like Aman from what I have heard.
We connect so well, it’s more than how I connect with my best friends these days.
And the best part is we don’t compete with each other. She is happy for my achievement and I am happy for hers.
This package deal of a sister cum a friend is working like a magic.
I will keep my fingers crossed for an everlasting connect....

No comments: