Thursday, May 12, 2011

Do it yourself – Post 9


Now now, before your dirty mind wanders far, please to remember that this is a family blog and I refrain for making comments that will have some people jumping.

What I am talking here is the latest shoe rack we picked from Ikea. All of 89 dollars, this pretty thing came in a compact packing. The idea was to assemble it yourself. And the last time I did something vaguely constructive was back in school were we had a compulsory 1 hour of SUPW (Socially Useful Productive work) every week.  On that note, do children these days have SUPW??

Anyways, so we bought this thing home with the intention of creating something out of some random pieces. I for one was totally excited and kicked by the idea and my constant blabbering was infectious enough for Aman too. Or at least he pretended. It’s another story that this assembly had to wait till the following weekend.  

At the onset it seemed a little difficult, but once on it, we had so much fun doing it. It was the perfect team building exercise for a couple. We strategized, recognized quickly what both of us were good at and accordingly worked (trust me to make a perfect domestic activity sound like something you do in a boardroom!!)

And in the process had we some good laughs as well. This was an enjoyable change for someone who is used to having hired help and delivery guys do such things. I mean I don’t think we have ever taken the pain to hammer a random nail into the wall, leave alone assembling a chest of drawers.

So here is my suggestion for some perfect couple time which is fun, novel and great for bonding. Go go, pick up a DIY shoe rack from Ikea.

This is the result of our effort, ah the sweet joys of love!


4 comments:

Life Begins said...

O being there done that - thats short i can. Here we have so many things at home like that ...and each one of those DIY variety - right from cupboards, to chests to beds to cooking range to garden swing to any other piece of funrniture you can think of :)

And i totally agree - its fun couple time. :)

Iya said...

@ Life Begins - Wow, thats a lot!! this was our first.. and i so see ourselves getting a book rack very soon!! that wud be about it. rest the house is full!

mindspace said...

Strategic DIY assembly :) result looks pretty nice.
you have such a big footwear collection, i was wondering if this one accommodates only Aman's shoes ;) n Iya, I suppose you were to show us your new house pics after settling in. this pic reminded me of that :)

Smitha said...

I love DIY projects :) And since coming here, we have ended up doing some, which we would have never bothered to, in India. It is definitely fun! Last weekend I did one little one, all by myself :) And was so chuffed :)